What You Should Know About Garden Lawn Care
Garden lawn care is important because your grass is a living thing. Getting started with good garden lawn care in the spring gives your lawn a better chance of survival throughout the hot summer.
What Good Garden Lawn Care Consists Of
There are 4 things that your lawn requires from you:
During the summer months, your yard will need watered. You will know when this needs done by simply standing on your grass. If it does not spring back right away, then it needs watered. The goal in watering is to moisten the soil to a depth of 4 to 6 inches. Make sure that you do not water too much or your lawn could get fungus and the nutrients may simply runoff.
Good garden lawn care also requires you to trim the edges of your yard. If your mower cannot do this for you, then you can purchase a special edger that will do this job. This is not only easy but it will also give your yard neat, attractive finish.
Scarifying is the part of good garden lawn care that most people tend to overlook. This is how thatch and material that is dead and decaying at the grass' roots is removed. You should do this every spring and fall.
Of course, you cannot overlook the need to mow your grass. There are some important things that you should know about this as well.
- You should only use sharp blades, otherwise your grass will be damaged, making it vulnerable for diseases.
- Your grass should be dry whenever you mow it, otherwise it will not be even.
- Your mower will need to be set to the proper cutting height, which depends upon the type of grass that you have.
- You will not want to remove more than 1/3 of your grass' height each time you cut it.
- The gas that is in your mower should be unleaded and no more than 30 days old.
- You should never turn your mower sharply or you might scalp your grass. Make sure that you use wide turns.
- You will need to clean the underside of your mower, along with its deck and blades, periodically so that your mower can perform as well as possible.
- You should alternate your mowing patter so as to enhance your yard's appearance. This will also keep your grass from getting wear patterns or from looking dull.